Schwarzriesling

Photo Credit Wikipedia

How long have I lived in Germany now? Well over a year, right? Nineteen months, you say?!?! Oh. So I should know by now? I'll get to that in a minute...

I really love wine, but haven't been drinking it much since I have gotten here. I just feel, well, too uneducated. There are the different varieties of wine and regions to deal with. And then there has been the language and I am just to shy and embarrassed to ask anyone about it. I occasionally stroll the isles wanting to sample wines from Germany, but I know that what they are best at is Riesling and I much prefer red wine. I was really getting into Pinot Noir while in the states so I look out for it occasionally with absolutely no success. Pinot Grigio? It's everywhere. But no Noir.

And now we arrive at this evening. I picked up a decently priced bottle of red wine on my way home, and chose it because I was curious of the variety. "Schwarzriesling" or Black Riesling is what it's called. And I like it A LOT! So curiosity got the best of me and I decided to look it up. And I'll be damned!! Schwarzreisling=Pinot Noir. All this time I just had to ask. And even better news... it's the red wine that Germany does best! This situation, though belated, is a big Win.

I also adore the name of the Winery: Laufferner Katzenbeisser. Katzenbeisser= Cat biter

No comments:

What am I Saying?