Vegan Chai Cupcakes


These cupcakes are moist and have such a fantastic flavor! I topped them with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, so they aren't actually vegan, but you can search for a vegan buttercream recipe on your own if you are. I also found these fantastic coffee bean shaped chocolate-mocha bits. Totally cute not to mention delicious on top of these cupcakes.

I am out of eggs but was craving something spicy, soft, and sweet. I haven't tried a lot of vegan baking, but I haven't often had success when I do. Usually, that is, when it is something like a cake that usually uses eggs as a binding agent. Many recipes call for egg replacer and, seeing as I am not actually vegan, that is not something I am going to go out looking for. If I have eggs on hand, I use them. If not, I seek out alternative recipes. This one, however, was a great success. I found the recipe a long time ago and haven't noted where, so I am afraid I can't give credit. But here it is for your enjoyment. I made a few small changes from the original. Recipe after the jump......

Vegan Chai Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes

1 cup soy milk or vanilla soy milk
3 or 4 black tea bags
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F
  2. Heat soy milk and steep tea bags for 10 minutes. Discard tea bags. Whisk in vinegar and let sit a few minutes until curdled.
  3. In a large bowl stir together all dry ingredients (Flour through sugar).
  4. Add soy milk, oil, and vanilla to dry ingredients. Mix until blended.
  5. Pour batter into 12 muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake 20-22 minutes on 375°F or until pick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack before icing.

*NOTES*

  • I used 3 teabags and, instead of steeping them in the milk, cut the bags and added the tea to the flour mixture.
  • I have made these with regular milk before to great success.
  • I didn't use any cornstarch as it's not available here (that I know of) and just added 2 Tbsp flour instead.
  • I added 1/2 tsp anise and 1/4 tsp ginger to the mix because I am a sucker for both.
  • The mixture will be very runny. Don't follow any impulses to add more flour. I did and they turned out slightly tough. They would have been perfect otherwise.
  • Once cooled, top with a vanilla buttercream icing or it's vegan alternative, of course. YUM.
~ENJOY~


2 comments:

Joseph Taylor said...

I am so making these later:) Thanks Chum!

Who's B? said...

Oh, I am so glad. Let me know how they turn out. :) Happy to see you here, Joseph.

What am I Saying?