Die Deutsche Einheit

Without so much as a mention from any one I know, and without any kind of celebration or ceremony (at least in Münster), today marked 20 years after the fall of the Berlin Wall. I would have gone through the day completely oblivious had I not previously marked it in my calendar. My roommate was raised in East Germany and it will sometimes come up in conversations what it was like. It amazes me that the world was so just twenty years ago. I came across this while over at Quoteskine today:"Many small people, in many small places, can do many small things that would change the face of the world."
And then there are a few images from my trip to Berlin in May:

Me at the East Side Gallery in Berlin, a 1.3 km stretch of the wall left standing.

The Reichstag, or Parliament Building in Berlin.

The Potsdamer Platz subway station. During the Cold War it was essentially a wasteland and has been built up since reunification. It's not only a major traffic thoroughfare, but is full of shopping, restraunts, and offices.

Perhaps the most beloved symbol from the DDR.

An apartment building which bordered the wall.

3 comments:

Chelsee said...

That's cool. I had no idea that happened 20 years ago today!

Pixie said...

That is one moment in history that I'll never forgot. I still get goosebumps remembering the video that we saw in the US of of kids my age climbing on the wall, arms raised and the celebrating that went on.

Who's B? said...

I was eight when the wall came down and sadly have no kind of memory of it. But it is interesting to live in Germany now and here stories about what it was like twenty years ago. And because of these stories I can excuse my friends as they enthusiastically sing along with "Looking for Freedom" with David Hasselhoff.

What am I Saying?