Post: Road to the Worlds

I have mentioned it at least once, my brother is a rock star.  Okay, a pipe star.  Bagpipe star to be most specific.  And it is now just 38 days until I get to watch him compete with his band at the World Bagpipe Championships in Glasgow.  This, dear readers, is a BIG DEAL.  And lately, if you get me talking about it, I get all choked up and teary from the immense amount of pride I feel for him.  Half my packing weight for this trip will be tissues, to be sure.  So you can only imagine how excited I was when fetching my post yesterday and I got this:

That's right, a T-shirt.  My mom rocks and got me this awesome band T-shirt (they are called Triumph Street) so I can be a proper fanatic while in Glasgow.  I cannot wait.  I am only cursing myself now, however, for getting rid of my "kilt inspector" T-shirt before moving away.  

This wasn't the only exciting thing to grace my mailbox.  My mom also included the ridiculous first issue of a comic book from a Rock-Bagpipe band, The Wicked Tinkers.  And it's autographed!  Now, a purist like my brother rolls his eyes at this group.  But I am telling you, they know how to rile up a crowd and I love catching them at a rare pub appearance for an awesome evening of dancing.  If you don't believe me you can check it out for yourself in this clip here.  Their enthusiasm on stage is contagious.  Oh yeah, and did I mention there is a didgeridoo in the mix as well?


And the other two books?  Those I gifted to myself and also received yesterday. \The Philosophy of Andy Warhol is a hilarious view of life as narrated by the artist himself.  His views on work, economics, love, and art are often funny, always a bit strange, and insightful.  It is interesting to see how is brain connected thoughts and ideas. It is a book I pick up now and then, flip to a random section, and see what Andy has to say to me that day.  One bit that has always stuck with me is this passage on Atmosphere:
When I look at things, I always see the space they occupy.  I always want the space to reappear, to make a comeback, because it's lost space when there's something in it.  If I see a chair in a beautiful space, no matter how beautiful the chair is, it can never be as beautiful to me as the plain space.
My favorite piece of sculpture is a solid wall with a hole in it to frame the space on the other side.

I believe in empty spaces.

Wreck this Journal I feel both timid and excited about. It is full of instructions of what to do with the journal which include scribbling, defacing, dragging, throwing, spitting on, dribbling, sticking, burning, and ripping. I love crafting. I am creative. I am also orderly. I like lists. And I look at the perfect and new journal and cringe a bit at the thought of intentionally destroying it. Which is why it is perfect for me. A lesson in letting go, in letting things not be in there rightful spot. When I get the guts to make the first, defacing move I will post it here. Actually, I will document the process on Flickr just for fun, with updates now and again on the blog. For now, I think I will leave it pretty and perfect for another week or two.

2 comments:

Allie said...

I didn't know you got rid of your kilt inspector shirt--I wanted it!

I'm excited for your trip to Scotland. Now if only I can figure out a way to get into your mom's luggage....

Who's B? said...

I know, I am SO LAME for getting rid of it. It is possible it is one of the few pieces of clothing I held on to but didn't bring. I should have my mom ransack the basement and see. :)

If my mom were bringing the monstrosity I called a suitcase that I brought here, you would easily fit.

What am I Saying?