Never a lost learning opportunity

As I was vacuuming today I was reminded of a great incident of an unintentionally funny language mix up. Of course I had to share it immediately.

When I was in high school some German kids were coming to the states to do an exchange and we wanted to host one of them. In order to know them better, each student filled out a questionnaire. In English, of course. And the greatest was from a boy who wrote, "I suck," which is the literal translation for, "I vacuum." As teenagers, there was no time lost teasing him about how much he sucked. I still think it's hilarious. It took some explaining on my part to describe the intricacies of language, but I got the point across.

I went back to my vacuuming only to be interrupted by this question...

Amanda, how many more minutes do you need to suck?

My belly still hurts from the laughter.

1 comment:

Lime Giddy said...

I love that! It reminds of a Korean couple I knew growing up--Mr and Mrs. Ha. They used to say we are very funny see...Ha Ha.
Thanks for the smile!
~Paula

What am I Saying?